Announcing the SAVE THE FROGS! 1st Annual Frog Poetry Contest!
Swept away by dreams
In the misty realms of sleep
Lulled by night's frog song.
Amphibian populations worldwide are in the midst of a mass extinction crisis, yet most people are completely unaware! We need your help in getting the word out. This contest will raise awareness of the amphibian extinction problem by getting people involved and interested. The best frog poems will be used in a book of frog poetry that will be sold to raise money for amphibian conservation efforts. This book will feature artwork from our concurrent 1st Annual Frog Art Contest.
The Japanese poet Basho wrote a famous haiku in the 17th century:
古 池 や
蛙 飛 込 む
水 の 音
Mizu no oto
Which is translated as:
The old pond
A frog jumps in
The sound of water.
Please send us your 21st century poems of any length, form or style.
The old pond
Frogs are in danger
Poets jump in.
Have a Basho!
Here are some ideas for your frog poems:
(1) Find out about a particular kind of frog and describe the world from that frog’s point of view.
(2) What if you found the last frogs alive on the planet … What would you do? How would you feel?
(3) Write a poem that makes the reader understand the importance of saving frogs, or one that makes them realize the danger frogs are in.
(4) Write a poem about any of the threats to frogs.
(5) Write a poem about how ridiculously cool frogs are!
(6) Imagine all kinds of brave, extravagant and daring ways in which you could save the frogs. Check out our How to Help page.
Anybody! We encourage students and teachers to get their schools involved. We encourage amateur and professional poets to take part as well. And the more countries represented the better! Did we mention that it is indeed FREE to enter the contest?
All entries are to be submitted no later than 11:59pm U.S. Eastern Time on Friday, July 10th, 2009.
Email submissions must be RECEIVED by Friday, July 10th, 2009. Mail-in entries must be POSTMARKED by Friday, July 10th, 2009.
Did we mention that there will be prizes? Aside from fame and the admiration of your peers, the Grand Prize Winner and Honorable Mentions may all see their poems featured on products we sell in our official SAVE THE FROGS! Cafepress store, and in a book of Frog Poetry we will produce from the winning entries of our concurrent 1st Annual Frog Art Contest. Contest winners and honorable mentions will also be acknowledged on this website, alongside a copy of their poem. And to top it off:
The Grand Prize Winner will:
(1) Receive a check for 50% of the jackpot;
(2) Receive three 100% organic cotton t-shirts featuring their frog poetry, which will grace t-shirts that will be available in the Gift Center;
(4) Become an official judge of the SAVE THE FROGS! 2nd Annual Frog Poetry Contest.
Category Winners will:
(1) Split 50% of the jackpot among each other.
Many contestants will receive Honorable Mentions and receive five free savethefrogs.com bumper stickers.
Will you help fund the jackpot? A high jackpot will make word of this contest spread far and wide, meaning more poets helping SAVE THE FROGS!, and higher quality poetry. It will also draw more visitors to the savethefrogs.com website, which means more donations in our Gift Center (our primary source of revenue) and more people learning about the amphibian extinction crisis. Anything you can donate to the jackpot is greatly appreciated! Remember it's free to enter the contest, so even $5 helps out!
The current jackpot as of May 7th, 2009 is $500.
You can make a secure donation with your choice of either Click & Pledge or PayPal, both trusted leaders in secure intenet transactions. After you place your donation, please send us an email to let us know that your funds should be directed towards the Frog Poetry Contest. Thanks!
Donate using PayPal:
Category winners will be chosen as follows:
(1) 18+ years of age
(2) 13-17 years old
(3) Under 13 age group
(1) Submitted poetry must be your original creation!
(2) Be sure to mention at least one of the following: frogs, salamanders, newts, toads, caecilians, amphibians, savethefrogs.com, and/or SAVE THE FROGS!
(3) Yes, you may submit as many poems as you like! Please always give us the title of each poem. Try to get them on one entry form, but feel free to submit a new entry form (with only the NEW poems) if you think of new poetry after submitting your first entry form.
(4) Award winners will be announced via the official SAVE THE FROGS! mailing list, so please join that now! We keep your info confidential and never spam you!
To make this contest successful we need your help spreading the word! If you are a teacher, please inform your fellow teachers. This contest makes for a great class project on Tuesday April 28th, Save The Frogs Day. If you are a student, tell your friends and teachers. Please put this flyer up around your school (left-click on the image and a PDF will open).
If you are a professional poet, tell your colleagues. If you are active on a poetry website, post an announcement. If you have a website, please link to this page. You can use this 'Poetry Contest - Cash Prizes' logo. If you have a Facebook or Myspace account, put a notice up on your page, and tell your friends. In Facebook, you can post a link to this page.
Feel free to spread the word by posting this message on your website, or emailing it to your poet friends:
Frog Poetry Contest:
SAVE THE FROGS! Nonprofit Organization (www.savethefrogs.com) has announced its 1st Annual Frog Poetry contest, with prizes including the chance to have your poems published in a book they will sell to raise funds for their amphibian conservation projects. Please visit their savethefrogs.com to learn more. The goal of the competition is to raise awareness of the mass extinction of amphibians that is currently taking place worldwide. Please spread the word to any poets you know. Thanks!
We are currently judging the 200+ submissions and hope to announce the results around September 15th, 2009. Winners will be announced on this page, and through an official mailing to everybody on the SAVE THE FROGS! mailing list, which you should join now if you haven't...it's a great way for us to stay in touch with you about important events and news in the world of frogs!
(1) All contestants must fill out the Contest Entry Form. When mailing multiple participants' entries in one package, you must include a Contest Entry Form for EACH participant.
(2) We prefer you email us your Contest Entry Form, but you may snail mail it if you wish.
(3) Mail-in entries will NOT be returned to the contestant unless you include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage.
(4) There is no limit to the number of poems you may submit.
(5) If you have a video camera or webcam, you should record yourself reciting your Frog Poems and enter the video into the 1st Annual SAVE THE FROGS! Video Contest.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org